With about 40 years of coaching varsity baseball at St. Louis University High School, running his Youth Baseball Camp for almost 30 years, and many more years playing, including collegiate ball at St. Louis University, Steve has developed a system of teaching baseball which emphasizes fundamentals and positive development, both athletically and personally.
Furthermore, Steve’s experience officiating NCAA basketball has provided his players and parents perspectives in approaching competition and sport that only few can provide.
And when you add that Steve has a Master of Science in Computer Science and teaches computer science courses and has created curriculum at St. Louis University High School, Webster University, Fontbonne University, Jesuit Virtual Learning Academy, among many other schools you can see why Steve states:
“Sports are important, and everybody wants to win and you shouldn’t apologize for winning, but winning is not the most important part of coaching and what people should be after…you see sports give us the opportunity to use challenges and obstacles to help us all grow into better people…we just have to be smart enough to learn from the lessons the game provides.”
On a more personal level, Steve has raised and coached four children and now has beautiful grandchildren running all around. With all of these experiences, Steve thinks that he has been blessed to be able to grow and learn as an exceptional father, a caring and loving grandfather, a teacher, and as a coach.
Though he does not like to tout his experience and would rather have Coach Baseball Right speak for itself, Steve’s experience can be summarized by the following:
- 39 years as Varsity Head Coach at St. Louis University High School
- 30 years of running Youth Baseball Camps
- Former NCAA D-1 Men’s Basketball Referee
- Greater St. Louis Amateur Baseball Association Hall of Fame Member
- Bob Broeg Award Winner – Most Influential Coach
- Missouri High School Baseball Coaches Association Hall of Fame
- Missouri Umpire Coach of the Year Award
- Lifetime Achievement Award from Greater St. Louis Association of Umpires
- National Epstein Certified Master Hitting Instructors
- 600+ wins (3rd overall in Missouri)